The Athens Injury Law Group’s team of experienced truck accident lawyers is here to help if you have been involved in an accident with a tractor-trailer, 18 wheeler, cargo truck, semi, delivery van, or another commercial vehicle in Georgia. Our attorneys will sort through the many complicated issues involved to help you determine whether you have a valid personal injury claim and how best to present your case.

How Common Are Commercial Truck Accidents? 

Unfortunately, drivers in Georgia and throughout the United States are finding it increasingly dangerous to travel on roadways, highways, and interstates with tractor-trailers and other commercial vehicles. According to the most recent data available from the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA), the number of fatal accidents involving large trucks and buses has risen by 29% since 2009. The trend shown by the statistics regarding commercial vehicle accidents that resulted in non-fatal injuries is even worsethese truck and bus accidents have increased 62% nationwide since 2009.

Who Is Responsible in a Georgia Commercial Vehicle Accident?

The trucking industry is governed primarily by federal laws and regulations. These rules were enacted to establish the safety standards that trucking companies, owners, and drivers must follow, and they often dictate who is responsible when someone is injured in a trucking accident. Many of the federal regulations regarding tractor-trailers and other commercial vehicles are set out in Title 49 of the Code of Federal Regulations. The federal agencies that oversee the trucking industry in the United States include the U.S. Department of Transportation (DOT) and the FMCSA.  

Each state also has its own department of transportation, as well as its own set of trucking regulations. In Georgia, the Department of Public Safety maintains and enforces the Commercial Motor Vehicle Traffic Codes & Safety Rules. Within DPS, the Motor Carrier Compliance Division is in charge of enforcing commercial vehicle safety, size, and weight laws throughout the state.

If you have been injured in a wreck involving a semi, 18 wheeler, or other types of commercial vehicles, there are a number of parties who may be held responsible. The potential parties liable in a trucking accident include the:

  • Truck driver
  • Owner of the truck and/or trailer
  • Person/company that leased the truck or trailer
  • Manufacturer of the commercial vehicle, tires, or other components that caused or contributed to the accident
  • Loader or shipper of the cargo being hauled

What Compensation Is Available?

If you've been injured in an accident caused by a commercial driver, you can receive compensation for:

  • Medical bills, including any future expenses related to a disability caused by the accident
  • Lost wages, including any future loss of earning potential if you've suffered a permanent disability in the accident
  • Property damage, including damage to your vehicle and personal items
  • Pain and suffering, including both physical pain and the emotional trauma associated with the accident

How Can Athens Injury Law Group Help?

In many of the personal injury cases involving tractor-trailers that the Athens Injury Law Group has handled, our truck accident lawyers have seen the insurance companies of the trucking, hauling, and leasing companies battle against each other over who should compensate the injured victim. It's also common for companies to offer low-ball settlements that won't even come close to covering your medical bills and other accident-related expenses. 

Our experienced personal injury attorneys are committed to representing your best interests throughout the process of settling your case. We will gather evidence to establish liability, document damages, and negotiate with the insurance companies on your behalf. This will let you focus your attention on recovering from your injuries to the fullest extent possible.

Call the Athens Injury Law Group today at 706-559-0159 for a free, no-obligation consultation, or request one by filling out an online form here